USA Citizenship through marriage or having Green Card by simply marrying an American Citizen or Green Card holder is completely different from each other. Later one is the process everyone has to follow who is considering permanent immigration. But the former is for the one who has already Green Card and has been living in the USA.
One can only get USA citizenship if he/she has a Green Card. Marriage has nothing to do with anything, it is only helpful in accessing the opportunity in just three years if you have received your Green Card through marriage, on the other hand, others who are interested will have to wait for five years.
USCIS completely ignores the marriage part and only follows when the person has received his/her Green Card and since then how much time has passed. They don’t consider how long you have been married. For example, if you are married for 20 years but have received your Green card two years back then you are not eligible.
Also one must have lived in the USA for at least 3 years (For the one who got his/her Green Card through marriage) or 5 years period (For others). One needs to spend the above-mentioned time in the United States of America to get USA Citizenship. Only then one can apply for naturalization. And it takes almost 4-5 months to get naturalized.
For naturalization or to get USA Citizenship, these are the following comprehensive step by step procedure one needs to follow:
- To Initiate the process one must visit the USCIS branch or can apply online by filling the Form N-400. It is an official application form for naturalization. Every single person who is seeking USA citizenship will have to fill the form.
- Once to submit your Form, officials will contact you and ask you to visit the nearest USCIS office for biometric registration. In that process, they will scan your fingerprints and pupil of your eyes and store it in their database for future use.
- USCIS department will again ask you to visit their office for an interview and exam. Both processes will take place on the same day so come fully prepared. In exam question may come related to the constitution of America, civil laws and duties of the citizens. They take it very seriously and if you fail the exam they may reject your application and you will have to apply again.
- The exam will take place in two subjects Civics and English. And if someone fails the exam, the retest will take place between 60-90 days from the date of the initial interview.
- For USA citizenship, USCIS provides you only two chances to pass the civil and English proficiency test. Here the link (USA Citizenship Naturalization Test) of complete information.
- (Sample test paper), appear for it and observe the type of questions they ask, prepare accordingly. Especially, for the civics part. One will not have to go in detail. Try to have a basic knowledge of everything.
- After passing the exam you will be asked to attend the oath of allegiance ceremony at USCIS office where all the formalities have taken place.
“I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic;
that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.”
- Finally, the department will present you the Naturalization Certificate/ USA Citizenship document and become the citizen of the United States of America